SO YOU WANT TO BE A GRAPHIC DESIGNER?
BECOME A WONDER WANDERER!
JULY 1 - AUG 1
optional early arrival on Sunday June 28 -
pottery intensive and farm life interaction
optional extension of 2 weeks to August 15 -
Citizen Designer course
arrive 5pm, depart 11am
COACH VAL, mfa graphic design, HAS TRANSFORMED HER
20+ YEARS OF EXPERIENCE AS A DESIGN PROFESSOR
INTO DESIGN COACH MENTORSHIP & CAMP DIRECTOR.
This bootcamp is a condensed version
of the INTRO YEAR to GRAPHIC DESIGN.
Wonder and Wander are creative philosophies
embedded in the design process.
It is innovative and experiential.
It engages all senses and critical thinking.
Don't wait until Sophomore or Junior year in college (age 19 or 20)
to start your path on living a creative life with understanding
and engaging in the design process of problem-solving.
Jumpstart your creative passion
for design and creativity
CONDENSED IN 30 DAYS.*
(college design courses are 6-8 hrs per week,
14 weeks per semester plus homework.
So we will spend each day immersed in a
living learning environment
rather than a stale, windowless computer lab)
You will learn the basics of graphic design.
You will learn how to explore and experiment.
You will go outside and use nature as inspiration.
You may use other hand craft skills like drawing and collage.
Optional down time activities: photography, pottery, reading, writing
The online version of these courses are 8 weeks in length.
With one-on-one mentorship and guidance, each camper will have immediate feedback and peers to work with, inspire, challenge, and collaborate.
The best learning happens in active experiential environments that
are safe and conducive to the individual.
Maximum of 15 campers.
Can't Make it this year?
MESSAGE ME ABOUT:
a virtual coaching session here
PROGRAM FEES OVERVIEW
WONDER WANDER 101 - 2 SEMESTERS IN 30 DAYS
Arrival July 1, Departure August 1
No prior experience in the creative arts or graphic design is necessary. Applications with written statement or examples of work may receive additional merit.
Registration ends when all spots are full or by May 31, 2020 - $3,800
Early bird discount ends January 31, 2020 - $3,500
Two participants from same family - $150 discount
note: The online version of these courses are $499 each.
ARRIVE EARLY - POTTERY AND FARM INTENSIVE $450
Arrival June 28 for a pottery and farm intensive. Includes an early orientation to the camp, instructions on the pottery wheel and a head start on making, overview of safety and kiln operation to be eligible for assisting throughout the camp experience, a 25lb supply of clay and access to existing glazes. You'll get a chance to help with the care and feeding of the animals too. EARLY BIRD BY JAN 31 - $399
STAY LONGER - CITIZEN DESIGNER INTENSIVE $1,750
Depart August 15. With the introduction courses to graphic design under your belt, stick around for 2 more weeks for an intensive on how to engage in design for social good. What does it mean to use your skills as a creative to help the causes you stand for? You'll get a bit of history and practical projects with mentorship to pursue a variety of portfolio quality work. At this rate, you won't need to study design in college if you choose to go you can focus on other disciplines that will give you a broader knowledge base and experiences to build upon!
EARLY BIRD BY JAN 31 - $1,600
Program fee includes: furnished lodging, meals, in person course instruction, supplies for the course projects (such as paint, ink, paper, brushes, markers), access to the camp main Imac for production purposes through the course, access to the library, a pottery work session and materials, and the camp experience.
Program fee does not include: transportation to/from camp, personal items (clothing, art journal and basic materials - list will be supplied), computer or other digital devices, personal insurance, any medical or other personal needs, any creative objects like instruments, games, coloring books, etc. that the participant may want access to for free time alternative to digital (see below)
Other program details you should know before confirming registration:
* Cell phone signal in this area is typically weak. This is an intentional facet of the camp location. There is a house phone for emergencies or to communicate with parents. The goal of this getaway is an intentional digital detox and immersion away from the comforts of home which includes limiting use of communication as many of us adults may have experienced in our own youth at camp when moms sent us letters and care packages. There will be free time and open wifi so that participants can communicate with family as necessary via email or messaging, but excessive connection will be discouraged politely.
* Digital device use will be closely monitored. Any participant who is focused more on their devices than on the experience will first receive a warning. Second infraction will be dismissal from the program and pick up of the participant immediately. No refunds will be awarded if participant violates this policy. Wifi will be restricted during certain times of the day and evening. There are no televisions in the primary lodging. Students will not be allowed to stream movies or immerse in other digital activities because it is a distraction from the work and the camp experience. Face time is not allowed because it is a vampire on the data limits of the wifi satellite.
* Please note any allergies or special dietary needs for planning purposes. Participants will be encouraged to participate in all facets of the meals at various times during the experience. All diligence will be placed on making sure meals are allergy free. Coach Val has extensive list of items eliminated from her own life due to allergies and food intolerance issues.
* A KAPER chart will be developed discussing the shared responsibilities of the communal environment and experiences. Coach Val spent most summers from 4th grade to high school attending Girl Scout summer camp. This method was very fair and productive. It teaches youth and empowers them in skills that seem mundane but are extremely important as part of the creative process because it allows time for the brain to process behind the scenes - becoming a wonder wanderer is a life philosophy not just a creative design practice. Any student resisting participation will be talked with privately about the issues. If refusal to participate puts an unfair burden on the others, this may be grounds for dismissal from the program.
* Safety practices will be discussed prior to all activities. Participants need to be mindful at all times. Any participant who is blatantly disregarding safety protocol as an intentional rather than accidental oversight could possibly be dismissed from the program. Based on the participant group, housing will be separated and no evening visitation will be allowed. Lights out at 11pm.
RISD summer pre-college program 6 weeks living in campus housing (age restrictions and portfolio requirement) $10,601 !
Application Fee $60
Housing + Dining $2,925
Art supplies $800
Health Services Fee $175
Watkins summer pre-college program 2 weeks living in campus housing (age restrictions and portfolio requirement) $3,850
Tuition and fees—includes room and board, materials, T-shirt, and transportation to special events. Students engage with a curriculum that encompasses a wide variety of media and disciplines not exclusively graphic design.
YOU WILL LEARN:
THE DESIGN PROCESS
research & ideation
editing and refining
THE DESIGN ELEMENTS & PRINCIPLES
& type personality
traditional photo (cyanotypes)
rejoice in happy accidents
understanding imperfections and failures
how to critique
balance of digital life
verbalizing your thoughts
measuring with a ruler
craftsmanship/attention to detail
laundry (for camp linens + personal items)
basic adobe software
(computer recommended but not required)
Understanding Tennessee natural surroundings, flora and fauna.
Coach Val in 2020 will be
studying to be a certified Tennessee Naturalist to be a nature guide.
There will be supervised free time at the river and on the camp property.
Several evening campfires,
Several movies related to nature, art, and or design may also be shown.